Try this delicious and easy recipe for a very tasty Purkis fish pie. This combination has a crispy cheesy topping which makes it perfect comfort food for the colder weather. Fish pie is always a great dish for a supper party with friends or to make ahead and serve for a big family gathering.
Fish Pie with our own smoked fish
A fish pie, always needs a bit of smoked fish to really make it taste great and what could be better than Purkis Smoked haddock that has been cured on the premises. This is real local food as our 133-year-old Victorian smokehouse, is part or our Crouch End Broadway shop. We smoke the fish using oak chips and recipes that have been handed down from at least six generations of the family, without the need for additives and colouring. You can see more on our smokehouse here >>
This recipe will be suitable for four people but it is easy to scale up for larger numbers. Come into the shop and we can provide you with very best fish and eggs for this recipe.
Preparation for this dish is quite easy and will take about 30 minutes allow a further 35 minutes for cooking
Ingredients for Purkis Fish Pie
227g (8oz) undyed smoked haddock, skinned and cubed
55g (2oz) scallops,
115g (4oz) cooked peeled prawns, fresh or defrosted
2 large hard boiled eggs sliced or 8 hard boiled quails eggs cut in half.
55g (2oz) butter
55g (2oz) plain flour
150ml (5 fl oz) dry white wine
425ml (15 fl oz) stock
bay leaf salt and black pepper
2 x 15ml spoon (2 tablespoons) soured cream
1 x 15ml spoon (1 tablespoon) fresh chopped parsley
900g (2 lbs) potatoes, par-boiled and grated
30g (1oz) butter, melted
55g (2oz) strong cheddar cheese, grated
lemon and parsley for the garnish
Cooking instructions for Fish Pie
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F, Gas Mark 7
- In a small pan heat the butter, add the flour stirring continuously. Meanwhile heat the wine, stock, bay leaf and seasoning. Add slowly to the flour mixture, stirring continuously.
- Add the fish, shellfish, soured cream and herbs. Pour into a 1.2 litre (2 pint) pie dish add hard boiled eggs.
- Mix together the potato, butter and cheese; place on top of the fish sauce.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Garnish and serve with vegetables and fresh bread.