Tips for preparing clams
- When you get your clams home store them in a cool area.
- If you have any clams that remain open when tapped discard them
- Before cooking, soak your clams for about 20 minutes in fresh water. As the clams breathe they filter water and in the process salt water and sand will be expelled from their shells. When the 20 minutes is up pull the clams from the container this will leave the expelled sand and any debris in the bottom of the container.
Ingredients for Spaghetti Alle Vongole
1 packet spaghetti
4 tbsp Olive oil
2 large Shallots, finely chopped
1 garlic clove
500g clams from Walter Purkis
6 anchovy fillets
4 Tomatoes, chopped
250ml White wine
1 lemon, juice only
1 sprig Parsley, finely chopped
Cooking Method for Spaghetti Alle Vongole
1. Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling salted water, according to the directions on the pack until just tender
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the chillies, shallots, garlic, clams and anchovy fillets for 1 minute.
3. Add the tomatoes, wine and lemon juice and bring to the boil.
4. Add the well-drained spaghetti and chopped parsley and toss through until evenly coated.
5. Serve at once with chilled wine.